Nails Need Care: Avoiding Common Toenail Conditions
Since the weather is almost always warm enough for sandals here in Coachella Valley—especially now that the summer heat is cranking up—pretty, painted toenails are a common sight. Unfortunately, with all the pounding, wear, and tear your feet have to put up with, ingrown toenails and fungal toenails can crop up from time to time and make you reluctant to reach for the sandals.
Whether you’re someone who likes to show off those cute toes, or whether you’re more comfortable in a trusty pair of shoes, we want to keep your nails looking and feeling healthy. Here are a few great tips to avoid common toenail conditions:
- Trim your toenails straight across, and at a moderate length. When nails are curved or too short, they’re more likely to dig into the surrounding skin, become ingrown and increase your risk of infection.
- Choose shoe styles that give your toes lots of room to wiggle. Narrow or pointed toe boxes put pressure on the nail and may push it in.
- Have at least two pairs of shoes that you rotate every day. Fungi love warm, moist environments, so giving each pair an extra day to dry out can prevent fungi from colonizing your shoes.
- Don’t go barefoot in public areas, especially places that are likely to be warm and wet—locker rooms, pool decks, showers, etc. Always have a pair of flip flops or shower shoes to provide protection.
- Although we know you love painting those nails, polish and artificial nails prevent the nail from “breathing,” trapping moisture and making fungal infections more likely. This is true even with clear polish. If you do like to paint your nails, do so only occasionally—not all the time—and give your nails plenty of time to dry out between applications.
- Be careful where you get that pedicure! Clean spas will fully sterilize their tools using an autoclave—soapy water won’t cut it. Bringing your own tools is an even better idea.
For more nail care tips, keep reading our blog and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Google, and Pinterest. If you notice any problems with ingrown toenails or fungal infections, don’t suffer in silence—get help from Harvey R. Danciger, DPM. Dial 760-568-0108 today to set up an appointment at our Palm Desert, CA office.