Q What can I do about my foot odor at home?
Is your foot odor stopping you, or those around you, in your tracks when you take off your shoes? Foot odor can be frustrating and embarrassing. Your feet are smelly because they sweat. Did you know that they have more than 250,000 sweat glands and can produce 8 oz of sweat in a day? It is when sweat mixes with the bacteria on your feet that odor is produced.
Sometimes aggressive treatment is needed but there are several things you can do at home to help curb your foot odor problem. Dr. Danciger suggests the following ways to pay a little extra attention to your feet:
- Use an antibacterial soap and wash your feet every day.
- After every shower or bath, dry your feet entirely, especially between your toes, as bacteria love to live in damp areas.
- Sprinkle a bit of over-the-counter foot powder on your feet before putting socks on.
- Choose shoes and socks made of materials that are going to absorb moisture and allow your feet to breathe.
- Rotate your shoes to give them time to dry out between uses and go barefoot when you can.
- Get enough zinc in your diet as a lack of zinc can contribute to foot odor.
If your foot odor persists despite following these tips at home, don’t keep suffering. Dr. Danciger will be able to find a treatment that will work and get your foot odor under control. Call our podiatric office at (760) 568-0108 or request an appointment online.