Is surgery necessary in order for complete recovery from an ankle injury? Contact Dr. Harvey Danciger today for answers.
There are situations when conservative treatment for an ankle condition or injury fails to work. When this happens, surgical treatment is explored as a way to bring health and function back to the ankle. Repair of tissues, ligaments and bone deformities or stabilization of bones and joints may be needed to bring full health and function back to the ankle.
When is Ankle Surgery Necessary?
With any ankle condition or injury, Dr. Danciger will always evaluate whether there are any conservative treatment options available before going with surgery. When surgery is the only option to bring healing to the ankle, Dr. Danciger provides each of his patients with individualized care from the beginning preparation stage to recovery and rehabilitation at the end.
There are many types of ankle surgery. Some of the more common conditions that benefit from ankle surgery include:
- Relieve pain from osteoarthritis
- Severe misalignment requiring an ankle fusion
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Trauma or acute injury to the ankle
- Chronic ankle instability
- Cartilage damage
- Bone spurs
- Removing debris or scar tissue
How Can I Best Prepare for Ankle Surgery?
Ankle surgery is like many other situations in which the best made plans usually start with good preparation. Planning ahead will not only give you better peace of mind before the surgery but it will also help set you up for success. Dr. Danciger will be with you every step of the way during an ankle surgery procedure. Some of the most important tips he can offer to get fully prepared include:
- Know how you are going to get around after the surgery. With most types of ankle surgery, you will not be able to put weight on the operative leg for a specific amount of time. If you are going to need a cane, crutches, walker or wheelchair ensure that you are prepared. Dr. Danciger can also provide training ahead of time on the proper way to use these assistive devices.
- Have a checklist of what to bring with you the day of the surgery.
- Have a family member, friend or escort lined up to help.
- Proof your home ahead of time. Remove clutter, re-arrange furniture if necessary, stock up on ready to eat meals and move items you will need within reach to avoid going up and down any stairs. Doing all of this ahead of time will make the recovery time that much easier and smoother.
How Can I Ensure a Successful Recovery?
It will be important to follow any detailed instructions given to you by Dr. Danciger. You will have gone through an invasive procedure and being diligent to follow appropriate post-surgery instructions will be the key to ensuring a quick and easy recovery. Here are a few important tips to remember for after ankle surgery:
- Have someone stay with you during the initial recovery if you live alone
- Strictly follow weight bearing and mobility limitations
- Avoid sitting in low soft chairs or sofas that could be difficult to get up from
- Eat healthy and nutritious foods to provide your body with the nutrients and energy it needs
- Elevate the ankle while sitting
- Take any pain medication as prescribed and drink plenty of water
- If you have been given a physical therapy program, it is imperative that you follow the instructions for complete rehabilitation
- Follow instructions on how to properly go up and down stairs
There is no need to fear if your ankle injury or condition requires surgery. Dr. Danciger and his caring team are highly committed to walking alongside you throughout the entire process. If you have any questions about ankle surgery or need an appointment to discuss a possible surgery, please contact us today. You make an appointment by calling (760) 568-0108 or request one directly from our website.