Stretching, proper fitting running shoes, and not overdoing it are common running tips that you hear recommended for healthy running habits. However, runners should be aware of what food they’re taking in as well. It’s important to select food that will improve your performance, fuel your workout, and speed up your recovery time.
Try incorporating the following six foods into your daily diet in order to maintain the energy and stamina you need for your running routine.
- Complex carbs. Whole grains such as quinoa, oats and whole wheat are absorbed slowly, giving your body a steady energy supply that will help sustain energy and fuel intense running workouts. Since complex carbs take longer to digest, plan on eating them a few hours before a workout.
- Bananas. Simple carbs like bananas, strawberries or grapes are a great way to obtain an energy pick-me-up. They are low in fibers and offer a small amount of sugar that can be eaten right before you head out the door.
- Sweet potatoes. Filled with sources of manganese and copper nutrients, sweet potatoes are essential for muscle function. Prepare them any way you enjoy best and eat a few hours before a workout to fuel up or eat post-workout to replace lost electrolytes.
- Beans. Lean proteins such as beans are a great way to consume a runner’s needed amount of protein. Add them to your salad, soup, or salsa to acquire your protein a few hours before a workout.
- Nonfat Greek yogurt. Containing no fat or cholesterol, Greek yogurt is a great snack option post-workout to obtain protein that is essential for recovering from an intense run.
- Flaxseed. Omega-3 fatty acids are proven to relieve joint pain and decrease inflammation in the body, which is just what runners need. Flaxseeds are great sources of omega-3s and also contain fiber, which can prevent digestive pains while running.
It’s important for runners to maintain a healthy diet. By eating the appropriate types of food to give you proper nutrition, you can easily consume the needed amount of nutrients your body requires to gain the most out of your running workout!
What healthy foods to you eat to better your running routine? Please share by commenting below! Stay healthy and your feet will follow.