Have you been noticing a painful feeling on the ball of your foot? It feels almost as if there is something small in the bottom of your foot causing your pain? Although you may think what you’re experiencing is a little weird, the symptoms of a neuroma include that very feeling. A neuroma is a nerve abnormality that is often located on the ball of the foot due to trauma, or foot abnormality, that causes a pinched and inflamed nerve to develop.
Neuromas can range from moderate to severe pain, but if you’ve been noticing feelings that there is something in the ball of your foot, almost as if it is marble-like, contacting our office to set up an appointment with Dr. Harvey Danciger is in your best interest before the condition becomes worse.
Dr. Harvey Danciger can evaluate your neuroma condition and determine the best form of treatment to alleviate your pain. Depending on the severity of the condition, common treatment options our office provides for neuromas include:
- Padding or orthotic devices. Extra padding and support can be added to your shoes to reduce pressure and compression on the affected nerve in order to help relieve pain.
- Shoe or activity modification. Shoes that are designed with a wide toe box can be recommended, as well as, avoiding certain activities that put repetitive pressure on the neuroma.
- Medication. Pain relievers and anti-inflammatory medication can be prescribed to alleviate pain and irritation.
- Injection therapy. Steroid injections may be used to treat chronic pain caused from a neuroma.
- Surgery. In severe cases, surgery may be required to treat the neuroma condition. Neuroma surgery can be performed in our office or at a surgery center. The procedure involves locating the neuroma nerve and removing it. Recovery can be expected to last for four to six weeks until the foot is back to normal function and mobility.
If you think you may be suffering from a neuroma, contact our office to set up an appointment with Dr. Danciger. He can help you get back on your feet without any unusual sensations or pain!