It is a warm sunny day and you are ready to head to the pool or the beach. You have all of your gear ready to go and are stocked up on sunscreen, but have you forgotten your feet?
Feet are often neglected when it comes to applying sunscreen and unfortunately can fall victim to the sun’s harmful rays. If you are getting ready for a day in the sun or if you have already been out and your feet have paid the price, here are some valuable tips to remember:
- You can get burnt within 15 minutes of being in the sun on some days. The skin on your feet is very tender so be sure to apply sunscreen to the tops and bottoms of your feet.
- If you are currently suffering with sunburned feet, speed up the healing process with the following self-care treatments:
- Drink lots of fluids
- Wear open shoes to reduce any friction on your skin
- Soak your feet in cool water
- Apply a compress with milk and baking soda to draw out the heat
- Apply aloe vera to soothe skin
- If any blisters develop, leave them alone
It is important while talking about being out in the sun, to remind you that skin cancer can develop on your feet. Melanoma is a very serious and deadly form of skin cancer. Because most people don’t pay much attention to their feet or do not think much of a small spot here or there, melanoma on the feet is often diagnosed after it has grown to an aggressive stage. Don’t allow this to happen. Protect your feet from the sun this summer!
If you have any concerns about your foot health or notice any changes or spots on your feet, please contact foot specialist, Dr. Harvey R. Danciger for an appointment today.