I have bunions and I can’t find comfortable shoes!
If you have a bump at the base of your big toe joint, you probably have a deformity called a bunion. The good news is that you are not alone as this is an extremely common foot problem. An inherited faulty foot structure is a common cause of bunions but they can also develop and worsen over time through the wearing poor-fitting shoes.
If you already have bunions, the shoes you decide to wear will make a big difference in keeping painful symptoms at bay but in slowing down the progression of your bunions. It is important to invest in footwear that will properly support your feet and provide adequate room for your toes and bunions.
Dr. Harvey Danciger, foot specialist in Palm Desert, CA treats bunions on a regular basis and encourages his patients to pay close attention to the shoes they wear. It may seem like a small decision but it can help you avoid painful surgery. Here are some footwear tips that will protect your feet and bunions:
- Look for a shoe with an upper that stretches and forms to your foot to make room for your bunions.
- Opt for a breathable, slip-on shoe that isn’t cumbersome to get your feet into.
- Choose shoes with removable foot beds to allow for custom orthotics if you wear them
- Look for shoes with good arch support, which will remove pressure off of the bunions
- Choose a shoe with a wide and high toe box
With so many choices out there, it can be difficult to find shoes to fit your feet well. If you are struggling with your bunions, we can help. Make an appointment with Dr. Danciger today. He can assess the severity of your bunions and provide treatment that will bring relief. Call our podiatric office today (760) 568-0108 or visit our homepage.
Learn more about your feet for free! Dr. Danciger offers several free books to help you understand foot and ankle conditions and treatments. Order your copy today!