Yes, fungal nail infections can be contagious although the risk is small. Athlete’s foot typically accompanies a fungal toenail infection, and that is actually more contagious then the fungal toenail. A fungal nail infection is also very resistant to treatment and can take awhile before they fully clear up. This makes it very important to treat them early on and be aware of how they can spread.
Keeping bacteria and fungus away from feet is the primary defensive step. Here some important tips to protect your feet and prevent contracting a fungal infection:
• Wash feet on a daily basis and keep feet dry.
• Avoid sharing shoes and socks – especially important for children in a family
• Wear clean socks every day and rotate shoes
• Wear sandals or shower shoes anytime you are in a public pool or shower area
• If going to a pedicure salon, bring your own sterilized utensils
There are many treatment options if you do have a fungal toenail problem. Seek early treatment and contact our office to schedule an appointment at (760) 568-0108.