Arthritis isn’t just one condition; the catch-all term encompasses dozens of different individual conditions, diseases, and disorders. The one thing they all have in common? Joint pain.
Some of the most common types include:
- Osteoarthritis, caused by normal wear and tear of the cartilage in the joint over many years.
- Post-traumatic arthritis, which results from a specific injury, possibly years later.
- Rheumatoid arthritis, in which your immune system mistakenly attacks the lining of your own joints, leading to inflammation and pain.
- Gout, painful inflammation of a joint (usually the base of the big toe) stemming from the body’s inability to sufficiently filter uric acid from the bloodstream.
- Lupus, another auto-immune disorder (like rheumatoid arthritis) but more serious, and which may affect many other systems besides the joints.
- Fibromyalgia, a condition where abnormalities in nerve function lead to increased sensitivity to pain and pressure.
Regardless of what’s causing your joint pain, lifestyle modification and medical therapies—both surgical and conservative—may be able to help you manage symptoms, minimize pain, and maximize mobility and quality of life. To find out what options are available for your arthritis, please schedule an appointment with Dr. Harvey Danciger in Palm Desert, CA by calling 760-568-0108.