Foot pain is a fairly common condition that affects most Americans at some point in their lives. The amount of pressure that we place upon our lower extremities from simply moving around certainly explains how feet and ankle problems can be so prevalent. In spite of this fact, foot pain is not normal and should never be ignored. Your body is trying to tell you that something is wrong and you need to deal with this. One of the effective methods of dealing with such issues is the use of customized orthotics and Dr. Danciger will create a pair that helps treat your specific condition.
What are Orthotics?
These medical devices are custom-made inserts that are designed to fit the exact form and contours of your feet. They are made with durable materials to provide support, distribute bodyweight properly, and correct faulty biomechanics, like issues you may have with your gait. Specifically, these inserts are prescribed for effective:
- Prevention of foot deformity or the worsening of an existing condition
- Balance restoration and optimal foot positioning when you stand or move
- Pressure relief from specific areas of your feet that may be causing pain or discomfort
- Alignment of your feet
- Improvement with regard to biomechanical functioning of your feet and lower legs
Knowing When Custom Inserts are the Right Choice
Conservative treatment options are always the preferred course for addressing foot, ankle, and biomechanics problems you might face, and orthotics are intended to correct a wide range of ailments without using an invasive procedure like surgery. Essentially, if we can treat the problem without surgery, we will 100% of the time, and these customized inserts give us a chance to do exactly that.
There are a variety of foot and ankle conditions that can benefit from the pain relief offered by prescribed, custom-crafted inserts, including:
Made Specifically for You
You may see inserts at the store and think they are the same thing as what we offer, but those mass-produced devices should only be used for providing additional cushioning or extra arch support. When you come to our office, however, you will undergo a thorough evaluation from Dr. Harvey Danciger, DPM. He will diagnosis any underlying foot condition you may have and determine the best course of treatment.
Depending on your foot or ankle problem, level and type of activity, gait analysis, and biomechanics of your feet, orthotics could be a beneficial treatment option. When this is the case, we make a mold of your foot to create inserts that fit every unique contour and will minimize stress forces for you. We use a range of materials to effective achieve treatment objectives and offer three types of orthotic devices:
- Rigid devices are made with plastic, carbon fiber, or other firm material and are intended to control foot function. These are typically prescribed to relieve pain that results from abnormal foot functioning and often used in footwear that doesn’t require a lot of motion, like dress shoes.
- Soft devices are constructed with compressible material and are intended to improve balance, absorb shock, and decrease pressure on foot sores. These are often prescribed to alleviate symptoms from arthritis or diabetes.
- Semi-rigid devices are typically used for athletes who have foot pain and correct the biomechanics so the muscles and tendons move the foot correctly. They use both hard and soft material to control motion and provide cushioning.
Custom-made orthotics allow your feet to function at their highest potential and move in a manner that results in healthy, pain-free feet.
The Treatment You Need
If you have a foot, ankle, or leg problem that is giving you pain or severe discomfort, this may be the solution that you need. Come into our Palm Desert, CA, office and let Dr. Danciger give you an expert diagnosis and develop a treatment plan for a mobile and pain-free you. Make an appointment by either calling (760) 568-0108 or using our online form today.